Saturday, April 12, 2008

35 Years


It is kind of hard to appear anything but old when you tell people you have been married 35 years. :) Generations ago that was probably common place but that is not so in this society. I come from generations of people with long marriages so that is more the norm than not to us. In looking back if I could change anything it would probably be that I would of worried less and not of blown things up out of proportion....so I guess that is what I need to take into the next 35 years of marriage. That is much easier these days anyhow as we have both mellowed with age.

Nearly 30 years ago a pastor walked me through the steps to understand that I must not put my happiness in man. You see he said that even if my husband did everything I wanted that still would not make me happy for long---that is the nature of people. Instead he said I must place my happiness in Christ. Sure enough the major thing I wanted changed in my husband ceased a couple of years later and while it was wonderful it did not make me happy all the time. While at the time I thought ok I have to do this, this and this to place my happiness in Christ honestly it wasn't cutting it. What I wish I would of got is the how to place my happiness in Christ. That happiness doesn't come from going to church on Sundays and doing the right things. Works do not bring you closer to Christ. Growing to understand and praise God comes from really studying His word, bringing my cares to Him in prayer, and seeking the Holy Spirit in all I do. From that streams peace and the ability to reach out to others and serve Him. I admire these young people that already have that lesson learned. They are so far ahead.

We will celebrate our 35th in a special way this year and it is with peace and contentment I look forward to spending my day with my husband. God is absolutely so good. Praise you God!!!

2 comments:

Emily Vickery said...

Hey Aunt Vicki! This is your neice, Emily! Hope you guys are having a fun trip! I think it is amazing you've been married for 35 years because it is rare anymore. I love your pictures of bluebonnets. You always take nice pictures. I bet your grandbabies will be so happy when you get back-they are so adoreable. Take care!

Michelle said...

Congratulations on 35years Mom! You must be a saint! Your crowns are in Heaven for sure. Thank you for always making it work, esp for the sake of my brothers and I. And my kids benefit too. Course, Dad is blessed beyond measure. I love him. Marrying into a family where divorce is the only norm they have, makes me appreciate your sacrifices even more. I love you! Love, Michelle