Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Secret of Contentment

Well my next NANC weekend is coming up so I really want to get this info on contentment posted...so I'll reread it thru the years. My next NANC weekend has some great stuff we are delving into. I'm sure there will be lots that stand out to me there also. I can't wait! As I look at the material once again Stuart Scott brought this word on contentment. There are so many great speakers. How funny his three really stood out to me. I guess God has me at a place in my walk I particularily needed to hear on God's goodness, the zeal I should show for my heavenly father and contentment.

Philippians 4:11-13 "Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me." ( The thought just crossed my mind of how many times I said to my children growing up----I can do all things through Christ who strenghthens me.")

I liked what Stuart quoted from Jeremiah Burroughs, The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment, 19 "Christian contentment is that sweet, inward, quiet, gracious frame of spirit, which freely submits to and delights in God's wise and fatherly disposal in every condition."

Practical lessons to help Christians learn contentment:
  • Humble yourself with daily reflection of the Gospel of Jesus Christ (Are you 100% satisfied with Him alone?)
  • Study/Meditate on God's character
  • Pray without ceasing and give thanks
  • Be under the total domination of God's Revealed Will
  • Meditate and live by His Promises (Col 3)

Realize this well be a learning process

  1. It will affect our motives
  2. It will affect our thoughts
  3. It will affect our actions

God's power will bring contentment to those who have no strength of their own, but only if they have been living righteously. There is not quick fix, no shortcut to contentment. It comes only to those strengthened by divine power, and that divine power does not come from counselors, therapy, or self-help formulas, but only from consistent godly living. (MacArthur, Philippians Comm., 305)

In other words how can I expect contentment if I am living in the world. The world (conversations of gossip, TV, politics, voicing frustrations, etc.) does not feed my soul. My strength has to come from following God's word-the Bible and my precious prayer time with Him. I can easily believe in Christ and be a Christian but if I want contentment in my walk, zeal in my relationship I must abide in Him and understand how good God is. How simple but how many years I have missed the mark.

On another note I'm so enjoying the Beth Moore Bible study I'm in on the Psalms of Ascent. Yesterdays lesson (Psalm 132) was so great I had to read a portion of it to Byron who had run by for a few minutes. In it she said (as she was discussing prayer) God has answered you above and beyond what you asked on some of the very requests you assumed He answered negatively. If time and opportunity have passed, we assume God said no. Sometimes we're right. Sometimes we're wrong. Our finite minds simply cannot grasp God's infinite ways of answering prayer. You have no idea how many times you've prayed and God answered affirmatively but is awaiting the proper time for its revelation. Somewhat like Matthew 16:19, the answer has been "loosed" in heaven but hasn't yet been "loosed" on the pavement of earth. When the revelation does come, we sometimes don't link it with what we originally asked because we don't recognize the super-sized Ephesians 3:20 answer.

Wow and wow. When I look back at so many answered prayer that has happened over and over with my father and children now serving the Lord. I'm just waiting with anticipation the answered prayer of Terry coming to know and serve the Lord. Go, God!

With HIM I am content in all things. I choose that today!

1 comment:

Erin Fanello said...

hey aunt vicki, how are you? your blog is so cute, I got your address through ashley's website, and I wanted you to have my blog site so you can check out our little Noah, he just turned one! Hope you get a chance to drop us a line, tell everyone hi and that we love them!
erin, adam and noah fanello